Kiteboarder Level 1 on land (2 – 4 hours)
- Know safe wind directions and conditions for kiting
- Know hazards on a spot
- Set up a trainer kite
- Know the use of safety systems
- Have basic flying skills with trainer kite
- Launch and land the trainer kite with an assistant.
- Twist and untwist the lines while flying the kite.
- Walk and change directions while flying the kite
- Know the wind window
- Set-up a 4/5 line kite with a full de-power system
- Pre- flight check equipment and settings
- In flight check equipment and settings
- Understand and use the international communication signals
- Launch and land the kite to an assistant and as an assistant (4/5-line de-power kite)
- Control the kite hooked into the harness
- Understand the de-power system and can use the safety systems
- Advanced flying skills with the de-power kite
- Show full control of de-power systems in flight
- Pull quick release and activate leash
- Recover the bar and kite
- Self land
Kiteboarder Level 2 in the water (6 – 8 hours)
- Enter and exit the water independently and safely while controlling the kite.
- Water re-launch the kite.
- First body drag downwind.
- Maintain correct kite position in the wind window.
- Change direction to the left and right while body dragging.
- Recover the kite and bar in the water.
- Upwind body drag to recover board.
- Upwind body drag holding the board with one hand.
- Enter and exit at the same point while upwind body dragging.
- Know the power stroke for a water start.
- Know the safety rules and theory for water start.
- Can put the board on the feet and maintain the correct position for water start.
- Water start in both directions and ride a short distance.
- Come to a controlled stop.
- Understand weather forecast, tidal- and wind effects.
- Determine the wind strength, direction and quality.
- Know the right of way rules.
- Know equipment set up and choice according to the weather conditions.
Kiteboarder Level 3:
- Control the riding speed by edging.
- Consistent riding in both directions.
- Consistent riding in all directions including upwind.
- Ride amongst other riders and water users and respect right of way rules.
- Change of direction without stopping.
- Self- rescue and full pack-down in the water.
- Risk assessment and awareness of the riding area.
- Self launch.
- Make a toe side turn.
- Knows the theory and the safety rules for jumping.
- Land a basic jump.